My favorite thing about owning a business with my sister is that when we go into business-planning mode we can speak candidly and with total honesty about our money goals. We can say things like “I want to be able to buy a freaking vacation house” or “I want at least 8 weeks of vacation a year” without feeling self-conscious or judged by the other. You see, it’s not just about a number – we’re able to really dig in and explore our goals, desires, and dreams. It’s not just about how much we want to make – it’s about how we want to feel.
It usually boils down to us wanting to feel rich, wealthy, and successful. They might all sound like words for the same thing but they aren’t. When my sister and I get specific about what being rich, wealthy, and successful really looks like, this is what we find:
WHAT DOES “RICH” LOOK LIKE?
- expensive raw denim
- staying in a fancy hotel
- buying a new car – with a sunroof
- hiring someone else to clean my house
- ordering take-out from a fancy restaurant – on a weeknight
- subscribing to Amazon Prime and a United Mileage Rewards credit card
WHAT DOES “WEALTH” LOOK LIKE?
- having brunch with friends that lasts all day long
- picking my baby up early from daycare
- working out in the middle of the day
- donating to charity (without having to Tweet about it or pour a bucket of ice over my head)
- my modest heirloom wedding ring (my husband told me we could get something fancy – that it was just a placeholder – but I love it)
- ordering prints of my Instagram photos
- road trips with my girlfriends
WHAT DOES “SUCCESS” LOOK LIKE?
- a client that cries when she finally gets a brand that looks and feels like what she’s been trying to express all along
- a really nice email response to one of our Letters for Creatives
- record attendance and an engaged class in our ECourses
- being asked to speak at a conference
- being able to hire really talented employees
- having a new client waitlist
- coaching someone through a creative challenge
- feeling like an expert
Notice any patterns? The “riches” are all about the things you can buy. “Wealth” is about the experiences you can have when you don’t have to worry about money. And “success” is the demand, growth and necessity for what it is you’re selling, what it is you have to offer – and the higher-purpose reason why you do what you do.
So what makes you feel rich, wealthy, and successful? Let us know on Facebook.
P.S. I’m speaking at the Circles Conference on Thursday! The on-site conference is sold out (no pressure, or anythign) but you can buy a Circles Live pass at 75% off here by using the code andkathleen75 when you check out.
The Braid Method Branding ECourse is for creative entrepreneurs who are ready to support themselves financially with their business, create a blog or consistent online presence, and finally turn the work they’re already doing into a digital product, package, or offering for dream customers. This branding ecourse comes with 7 learning modules in a 300+ page digital download, a workbook with 20+ branding exercises and scripts, a quarterly masterclass, and an exclusive Facebook group so you can connect with us and other students.